2nd July 2019
19th July 2019
£3,000 per year
Newcastle upon Tyne
Early September, Date to be confirmed
Your Homes Newcastle (YHN) is an Arms Length Management Organisation (ALMO) responsible for managing council homes on behalf of Newcastle City Council. YHN was set up in 2004 to manage council properties, to improve housing in order to meet the Government’s Decent Homes standard, and to provide a range of support services for Newcastle City Council.
YHN currently manages;
- 25,500 council homes on behalf of Newcastle City Council
- Over 700 homes on behalf of Leazes Homes
- 1,500 leasehold properties on behalf of Newcastle City Council
Board members are collectively responsible for setting the strategic direction of the organisation and ensuring its long-term success. They must ensure, working alongside the Leadership Team, that the organisation achieves its aims and objectives efficiently, effectively and in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Our new non-executive director (NED) will need an appreciation of our stakeholder landscape, be an inspirational leader of complex change and bring challenge, support innovation and passion to the team. For this NED position we are keen to hear from outstanding individuals with Board level expertise and significant personal commercial experience.
The successful person shall have significant Board level or relevant senior management experience (either public or private sector) and will have demonstrable commercial experience gained from the business or not for profit sectors.
This is a challenging and rewarding role offering you the opportunity to improve the service for our customers. Naturally, we would expect you to be fully conversant with the usual legal and fiduciary duties of a Board member, aligned with corporate responsibility and good governance.
Time commitment and remuneration;
£3,000 per annum gross, plus travel expenses. An additional £1,000 per annum gross is payable to Committee Chairs. The role is not eligible for the Local Government Pension Scheme.
The Board meets every two months on a Tuesday at 5pm and meetings run on average for around two hours, although occasionally they may be longer. Board meetings take place at YHN House, South Gosforth, Newcastle, NE7 7LX. Board members are also expected to sit as a member of at least one Committee and to attend two Board away days per year; and Board training sessions. (approx. 14 meetings pa).
Tenure: initial term of up to 3 years, with a further two 3-year terms possible, subject to satisfactory annual appraisals
For further information and details of how to apply please contact Mike Dixon, Partner, Dixon Walter on 0191 5005500 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for the role please submit the following to email@example.com:
- An up-to-date CV. Candidates are advised that following the introduction of the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006, you are no longer obliged to provide your date of birth on your CV
- A covering letter of no more than 2000 words that addresses both the essential and the desirable requirements in the person specification and provides details of your current remuneration and notice period
- Details of three referees (one who should be your current employer), including name, nature of your relationship, position and contact details
- A completed Equal Opportunities form (downloadable from this site)
Following receipt of your application, you will receive an acknowledgement from Dixon Walter. Within this response, you will be required to provide consent under the new general data protection regulations. If you fail to provide this consent your application will not be processed further.
Diversity is valued at both Dixon Walter and Your Homes Newcastle and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Share this position.